Saturday, 26 May 2007
Sunday, 6 May 2007
Tuesday, 1 May 2007
Thursday, 19 April 2007
Tuesday, 17 April 2007
Friday, 13 April 2007
Friday, 6 April 2007
Monday, 2 April 2007
Sunday, 1 April 2007
Monday, 26 March 2007
It is really great to see Phoebe improving, it is still early days but things are looking really good for her!
Sunday, 25 March 2007
Friday, 23 March 2007
In addition to the medication Phoebe is currently on, she is also on 50mg/day of Cyclosporin.
Things are looking a lot more positive than they were last week, but we still have a long way to go!
Tuesday, 20 March 2007
Monday, 19 March 2007
The vet suggested that Phoebe's antibodies may be reacting to the transfused blood that is still in her system, so the dramatic drop in her PCV may not be as bad as it sounds. Her blood results from last Thursday showed that she is producing new red blood cells, but at a very slow rate. Phoebe is back at the vets tomorrow morning for another blood test.The vet is considering using some alternative immuno-suppressant drugs and a series of injections to help stimulate the bone marrow to produce new blood cells.
Sorry this post is not as up-beat as my last, but I am very worried about Phoebe.
Thursday, 15 March 2007
I know it is still early days and the next few weeks will be the crucial time, but I am feeling really optimistic for Phoebe. Phoebe has now got some colour back into her gums and has so much more energy. That said, she thinks she has more energy than she actually has. She was very excited this morning jumping about and wagging her tail. Phoebe really enjoyed the interactions at the vets (apart from having blood taken!) but has been flat out snoozing since we got back home.Phoebe by her very nature is a very excitable dog, but I am trying to keep her calm where possible as I know how imperative rest is to increase the chances of recovery.
It is so good to see her making good steady progress!
Phoebe has more energy today, she is constantly wagging her tail and following me around. Though she does tire quite quickly and is sleeping a lot. There is more colour in Phoebe's gums, they are still pale but distinctly pink tinged!
We have a visit to the vets tomorrow, I am hopeful of another rise in her PCV! It is so good to have her back home again!
Tuesday, 13 March 2007
Phoebe is the brightest she has been since becoming ill. However since coming home she has been a lot quieter and has been sick three times and also has diarrhea. I am sure I am being paranoid now, but after feeling initially positive about her progress I am now very worried again. I just called the vet that has been looking after Phoebe at the Edinburgh Royal Dick and he suggested that I laid off feeding her until tomorrow to allow her stomach to settle again. Phoebe has been through a fair bit this past week and a 3 hour car journey has probably not helped her stomach! If Phoebe is still being sick tomorrow morning I will take her to her vet for piece of mind.
I feel I have been very lucky with both my local vet and the vet who looked after Phoebe at the hospital, they have both been very helpful and caring, always happy to speak to me if I have anything I am worried about.
Monday, 12 March 2007
What is more we are able to pick her up tomorrow, I can't wait!
Thanks to some very good friends we have managed to get together enough money to pay her hospital bill (thanks very much, you know who you are!).
I am feeling more positive now than I have since Phoebe first fell ill, though I know she has a long way to go.
Saturday, 10 March 2007
Friday, 9 March 2007
Thursday, 8 March 2007
Wednesday, 7 March 2007
We took Phoebe to Edinburgh to the small animal hospital. Phoebe is staying at the hospital for the next few days for some tests. Her PCV is now at 8%.
The vet will be carrying out a bone-marrow biopsy tomorrow morning, this will hopefully identify the cause of the IMHA.
Worrying times and a quiet house!
Sunday, 4 March 2007
Saturday, 3 March 2007
Friday, 2 March 2007
Phoebe is still drinking lots, but she still has a fairly strong appetite. She seems to have about the same energy levels as yesterday. I really hope she starts to respond to treatment soon, it would be great to see her getting back to her normal self.
Thursday, 1 March 2007
Wednesday, 28 February 2007
Tuesday, 27 February 2007
Monday, 26 February 2007
- Would long term use of the steroid drug shorten Phoebe's life expectancy?
- Does Phoebe need a gastroprotectant drug?
- Can Phoebe use anti-flea treatment?
The vets answers were:
- Yes, though her quality of life up to that point would almost certainly be good. There is a chance that Phoebe will only need around three months of treatment, however nothing is certain. The fact that she showed 2 of the 4 factor points of IMHA suggests that long term treatment may be needed. If long term treatment is required, the steroid drug would be given on alternate days to allow her liver and kidneys to rest.
- At this stage, it is not of major importance. However it would be required if treatment is long term.
- Not worth thinking about at this point. However treatments from shops will be far too strong for her, but there are prescribed treatments that may be suitable.
I took Phoebe back home. Now usually if I open the front door Phoebe would bolt out the door like a bolt of lighting and run all over the place investigating other peoples gardens and usually taking about 15-20 minutes before I could get her back. However today she did get out the front door and rant to a garden opposite us (only running at c30% her usual speed). It took me just a few seconds to retrieve her as she at worn herself out. I was very worried when she ran out, this would not help her recovery and it could have been terminal for her if she got lost. I decided I should get her condition inscribed on her tag, just in case this does happen again.
I heard from the Vet again during late afternoon. The Vet informed me that Phoebe's PCV count was up to just short of 15%. The vet has hoped her count would have doubled from 9% to around 19-20%. However any improvement is a positive thing. I had hoped for more than 5-6% increase, especially as there was likely to be sum residual effect from her blood transfusion.
Phoebe urinated on the carpet again today, she has not done this since she was really ill last week. She is drinking a huge amount at the moment, but she is usually pretty good at letting me know when she needs to go out. Hopefully this is just a one off. I find myself very paranoid when she does an 'out of character' action, always thinking the worse!
Hopefully there will some more improvement in her health tomorrow, but I know this will be a slow process.
Sunday, 25 February 2007
Phoebe has got her appetite back to some extent, but is drinking c8x her usual fluid intake (this can be a side effect of the drugs she is taking). Phoebe seems very clingy, following me where every I go in the house whe she is awake. She is spending a lot of time sleeping though.
I find myself worrying about her contantly, it would be nice to see some physical progress.
I was approved for member ship of the CIMDAsupport email group and promptly posted to the group. The group has been amazingly helpful and informative, this gives me some hope for Phoebe's future.
We will be back at the vets tomorrow, so hopefully we will get a better idea of Phoebe's progress and prognosis.
The vet gave me enough prednisolone (steroid) to last Phoebe another five days (5mg tablets - 3 to be taken in the morning and 2 in the afternoon). We booked another appointment for the following Monday.
I took Phoebe home and treated her like royalty.
I had to leave her at the vets and thankfully one of the staff had brought her dog into the practice to donate blood. Without this transfusion Phoebe would have died.
It was a long and worrying day, the vet phoned me at lunchtime to let me know that Phoebe seemed to have responded to the treatment and was a bit more lively than she had been. However the blood results were not in yet, so there was still no diagnosis.
At about 1600hrs the vet phoned me to inform me that the blood results were in, so I made my way to the surgery.
On arrival the vet informed me that the blood results indicated that Phoebe had has Immune Mediated Haemolytic Anaemia. The vet gave her a strong injection of steroids and asked me to bring her back the following morning.
As soon as I saw Phoebe, I was amazed how much better she looked. Phoebe was wagging her tail and hand had a spring in her step. I realised this could only be temporary, but even so it was nice to see here with at least some energy again.
The vet gave Phoebe another steroid injection and asked me to bring her back again the following morning.
Once home I was able to search the Internet to find some information on this illness. I found the following links really useful:
I also found this support group:
I applied to join this group, and would later find it invaluable.